Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kampong Saom and back!

Well if it looks like I wear the yellow Lakers shirt a lot....it's because I do. Let me give a quick inventory of the clothing I brought with me: three t-shirts, two shorts, three pairs of socks, one pair of shoes and a pair of sandals. After a few posts, my clothing will get very repetitive. If you aren't a Lakers fan, this may be the last post you read....you are probably getting tired of the Purple and Yellow! 

***Announcement**** To all those in Cambodia: I did NOT come here to find a Cambodian wife. It seems like everyone I talk to seems to think I am here to find a wife to take back with me. This is the opposite of why I am here. This is not my intent. All the members here are throwing their daughters at me everywhere we go....anything for that flight over to America. If you know anyone in Cambodia, please tell them this is not the purpose of my visit. Much appreciated :)

K so now on to the good stuff. On Tuesday we left Kampot and went in search of these caves. We had a good connection to get a cheap moto again so we just rented one and we were off. We certainly found the cave. It was huge. We went way deep in their and just saw some crazy stuff. We also got a bunch of the local kids to take us in and guide us around. Here are some of the pictures....


You can't tell, but I climbed like twenty feet up this sketchy vine thing....straight up Tarzaned it baby!

After the caves, we caught a little taxi bus and headed down south to Kampong Saom. This was the most touristy part of our trip, consisting of relaxing on the beach and sipping on cheap fruit shakes. In typical white-guy-that-speaks-Khmer fashion, we quickly caused a scene on the beach and made lots of friends. One of the benefits of being the only white guys that can speak Khmer is the amount of free stuff we get....people just want to give us stuff for some reason! We get free mango, and bananas, and little grilled banana treats. It's been great. We made good friends with the little kids that walk on the beach and sell bracelets and fruit. This was definitely my favorite part of this portion of the trip. I love just talking to the people and making them laugh. My Cambodian personality is definitely that of the class clown. There is nothing better than a good conversation. Hopefully these pictures sum up the week....




K so we gotta get outta here right now. I will definitely write more later, but here are some pictures of church today. I got to meet a lot of the people I baptized and some of the missionaries that I taught in the MTC. It is weird to be "Brother Stevens" and "Elder Stevens" all in the same place.

Elder Jensen, left, was in the last group I taught


Elder Nielsen and Elder Mickelson: I got to teach both of them

Daneet and her kids...still active baby!!!

I baptized Sokhon, the young man, and now he is preparing for a mission :)

This member in 12th branch had my Bible from the mission :)

Sister Rytting (left) was in the last group I taught


I will end with a couple funny pictures.....
We had a long bus ride back to Phnom Penh....but luckily they had a great movie for us to watch on the TV lol

Trying to get a ride to church :) Hitch hiking baby!!!!  Who wouldn't wanna pick THAT up? lol

The new style of missionary work (coming Fall 2012)
Quick thought before I get outta here.....there are a lot of reasons to travel. I sometimes wonder why I travel. I always say how much I like it, but then once I'm doing it, it's always hard on me. I find myself in weird places in uncomfortable situations, so far away from home. I miss the comfort of home. I miss the comfort of my friends. One thing that is so great is Heavenly Father doesn't have limits. He is everywhere. He is in these remote places with me. If I need anything, He is only a prayer away. He is just a prayer away for you too. 

From Asia with love, 

Kory

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Kory! What a great experience to get to go back! Enjoy your time there and be safe! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete